Monday 2 August 2010

Blueberry, I Love You!



I had a pretty hectic weekend (as much as can be hectic when you're 8 1/2 months pregnant and can't move a lot due to various niggles!). I really enjoyed it all, as we got to witness two great friends marry, had a girl-only shopping trip and a hair appointment (always nice)..BUT I overdid it.
Siiiiigh...
Sunday afternoon, I was exhausted beyond belief, in loads of pain (sciatica & SPD...fun!) and had that getting-a-cold-achey-body-sore-throat-swollen-glands thing. And all because I am run down, immunity has dropped, and body desperately trying to sort itself out. What to do? Superfoods!! (By the way, does it mean you're weird if your 4 year old daughter can list Superfoods...?Just wondering...)
I have had two spirulina tablets (magic from the sea!) an apple, kiwi and lime smoothie, and now have plans for...
Berry and Buttermilk Cake, Adapted from "Apples for Jam" by Tessa Kiros.
1.5 cups unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
freshly ground nutmeg - a few grinds
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
4 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 cup fresh berries
2 Tablespoons brown sugar (for topping)
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk eggs until fluffy in another bowl, then add all wet ingredients. Mix dry and wet gently until combined. Spoon mixture into a 12x8x2 inch pan. Sprinkle blueberries on top. Bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees. Cool in pan before cutting.
**This adaptation courtesy of the amazing Soulemama :)

Yummy yummerson...blueberries are by far my fave Superfood!! What do you do when you're feeling a bit under the weather? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments: